IB Primary Years (Ages 3 to 11)
The International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB PYP) is a transdisciplinary programme for children from 3 to 11 years of age. It is recognised worldwide as one of the most advanced international programmes for elementary schools.
The PYP encourages children to take responsibility for their own learning and build their skills to become lifelong learners.
The IB PYP at Rome International School
Students who complete the IB PYP at Rome International School will have established a personal set of values that will lay the foundation for international mindedness to develop and flourish.
At Rome International School, your child:
- Develops a deep understanding of important concepts
- Conducts research into knowledge, which has local and global significance
- Acquires and practices a range of essential skills
- Is encouraged to develop positive attitudes towards learning, the environment and other people
- Has the opportunity for involvement in responsible action and social service
What is transdisciplinary learning?
- The PYP is transdisciplinary meaning students investigate big ideas supported and enriched by the traditional subject areas. The IB is committed to making sure that students in IB programmes meet and exceed local or national standards. *www.ibo.org.
- Students at Rome International School are instructed, in a transdisciplinary way, in the following subjects: English, Italian, Mathematics, Science *, History *, Geography *, The Arts: Drama, Music, Visual Arts, PSPE (Personal, Social and Physical Education), Music, ICT.
*Science, History and Geography (Social Studies) are taught through units of inquiry as are the other subjects when appropriate.
How do I know about my child's progress?
- The school uses differentiation in the classroom as well as critical and creative problem-solving and thinking skills to ensure that all of our students are working with purposeful, engaging and active learning situations.
- Meetings - Class meetings will be held at the beginning of the academic year. Parent/teacher/student conferences will be held in November. Parent/teacher conferences will take place in March and teacher/parent/student portfolio conferences will be held during April/May. Please see the published calendar for dates.
Music and Physical Education
- The children have lessons with a specialist teacher for Physical Education and Music .
- There is also a full-time librarian who works with all the classes.
- French and Spanish are offered as extra-curricular activities from Year 3. These languages can be pursued as curriculum options in the Middle School (High School students can also pursue these courses as part of the IGCSE and IB Diploma Programme).
- Starting from Year 3, students will be given the chance to study either Arabic or Chinese within the curriculum by mother tongue teachers.
- The school also has specialist teachers for EAL (English as an Additional Language) and IAL (Italian as an Additional Language) who work closely with the class teachers to provide extra support for those children who need it.
The PYP Exhibition
- Students in the final year of the PYP (Year 6 at Rome International School), carry out an extended, in-depth, collaborative project known as the PYP exhibition.
- This involves students working collaboratively to conduct an in-depth inquiry into real life issues or problems. Students collectively synthesise all of the essential elements of the PYP in ways that can be shared with the whole school community.
- It also provides teachers with a powerful and authentic process for assessing student understanding.
- The exhibition represents a unique and significant opportunity for students to exhibit the attributes of the IB learner profile developed throughout their engagement with the PYP.
- It also provides schools and students with a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the transition of learners to the next phase of their education.* www.ibo.org
PYP Skills and Attitudes
The IB-PYP Attitudes are a vital focus in the development of positive attitudes towards people, the environment, and learning. These are the day to day attitudes we use: appreciation, commitment, confidence, cooperation, creativity, curiosity, empathy, enthusiasm, independence, integrity, respect, and tolerance.
The transition from PYP to Middle School
- Our Middle School starts with Year 7 and students will be expected to show the relevant competences in English and Mathematics, in the form of oral and written assessment. Year 6 teachers will be consulted about all individual cases in good time during their final year of Elementary School.
- Students intending to follow the Middle School mainstream Italian programme leading to the Italian licenza media exam will also be expected to pass assessment tests in Italian.